I’m not a father, but if I were one, I would want some cool stuff. And kids should want to get their dads cool stuff. It’s so easy these days to find good stuff for dear old Dad. You just need to look around a bit. One great way to get ideas is to check out Amazon’s collection of Father’s Day sale items. Just browse that curated list and something will pop out at you.
I’ve always been partial to the iconic Weber charcoal grill – you know the one.
But, it seems that these days, propane is the way to go. So, if you’re in the market for a new grill, here are the best selling grills on Amazon.
The latest cool thing on my radar is the CableHub Personalized Cable Organizer ($14.95). This thing is great. The cool folks at CableHub let me try one out for a few weeks and I really love it.
If you read this blog, then you know that I am all about minimalism, simplicity and being neat. The irony of minimalism is that sometimes you have to add something to minimize.
The CableHub is a simple, good-looking hub that tames the wild cables on your desktop — or anywhere you have unruly cables from the many devices in your life. You may be adding the hub, but you are eliminating clutter.
The idea is simple (which is why I love it). You open the top of CableHub, take the cords of up to seven devices and wrap the excess part of the cords around the hidden core. This takes up the slack of the cords that would otherwise flail around your desk. Snap the top back on, and
If you have a young child in your life, then you are no stranger to dirty hands (probably yours and theirs). I’m a slight germaphobe, so when I continued to see dirty little hands I knew I had to do something.
After looking around a bit, the answer was clear: Mickey Mouse Foaming Hand Wash by Method. About $7 for a 2 pack on Amazon.
There are three reasons I love this stuff.
- Foaming soap just works better. It works better than bar soap and better than gel soap. For soap to work, especially on kids’ hands, they have to use it. You can’t necessarily count on a kid to wash thoroughly every time, so, the more effective the soap itself, the better. Foaming soap is lighter and spreads around more easily. That means it gets on more of the skin.
- Kids are more likely to use it. What kid doesn’t like Mickey Mouse? There is an excitement factor here when the kid gets the new soap. Using the Mickey soap becomes something they want to do.
- You know if they washed. The Mickey Mouse soap has a fresh lemonade scent. It’s really nice. But the real benefit is that you can smell the lemon scent on your hands even after you rinse and dry. So, if you need to confirm they washed, just take a sniff (and send them back to the bathroom, if needed).
Now, if you’re worried that your kid prefers Minnie Mouse, don’t be. Method makes the same great foaming hand soap in the Minnie Mouse version – the only difference is that it is Strawberry scented. Goodbye, germs.
I was a photography enthusiast, often carrying an SLR around until the iPhone, with its pretty good camera, made it too easy to leave the bulky SLR at home. Nikon has made it compelling again to pick up a “real” camera, with the Nikon 1 J2. Today, Amazon offers it at upto 40% off, and includes a case and an 8GB memory card. It comes in various cool colors and is small enough to carry around on a regular basis.
You’ll save $200 off the regular price, and get those extras for free – all in, it’s $349. I am tempted to pick this up myself. Here’s what Amazon has to say about it: “Today’s Deal of the Day features the Nikon 1 J2 with a free Nikon 1 J2 camera case and a 8 GB Transcend memory card. The Nikon 1 J2 captures sharp, noise-free images even in low-light settings. Get great shots every time, with built-in night-portrait and night-landscape modes and an ISO range from 100, for very bright days, all the way up to 3200, for the dimmest conditions.”
Today’s Amazon deal is 25% Off Ekobrew Refillable Cup for Keurig Brewers. Prices start at $7.99.
We have a Keurig machine in our office (as do probably 80% of you). Our coffee is free, but I sometimes make my own with my Aeropress because I am not crazy about the brand of coffee my office provides (see my post about the Aeropress that I keep at my office). This Ekobrew refillable K-Cup idea is great because it allows you to use your own coffee grinds in the machine.
Here’s what Amazon has to say about it: “Today only, find big savings on a variety of Ekobrew Cups, a refillable K-Cup for Keurig brewers. Save 25% off our price and enjoy your favorite ground coffee right from your Keurig brewer for less than $0.30 per cup. Prices are marked 25% off yesterday’s price.”
I used to have one of these at my previous job, but I don’t work there anymore. I really liked it and will probably get another. At 56% off (today only $34.99), I think the time is right. Amazon reviewers gave it 3.9 out of 5 stars. Here’s what Amazon says about has to say about it: The Jabra WAVE Bluetooth Headset provides all-day comfort and three-layer wind noise reduction. Whether you’re in a busy train station or walking your dog along the shoreline on a windy day, you’ll sound like you’re in a quiet room.
Living in NYC is noisy, so that noise reduction is huge for me. Can you hear me now?
My chiropractor has used this Prosepra Electronic Pulse Massager PL009 Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) machine on me before, and it really helps with my neck and back pain. I just ordered one for myself, and I’ll do a review later, but it’s 50% off today only on Amazon, so I wanted to get it out there on ATCS so you could get one if you wanted it. Was $50, today $25.
Here is Amazon’s write up about it:
With the Prosepra Electronic Pulse Massager PL009, you can soothe tired or sore muscles in the comfort of your own home. This portable, compact massager is a Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) therapy unit that uses mild electronic impulses to stimulate muscles and alleviate pain. Six automatic massage programs and three massage techniques with adjustable speed allow you to customize your experience.
Professional-quality Massager Treats Neck, Back, and More . Ideal for relieving sore muscles caused by exercise, muscle spasms,
Today (4/12/13) only, Amazon has a 60% off deal on the ProForm Pro 2000 Treadmill. Regular price $2,499. Today it’s $999. Here’s what Amazon has to say about it: Get the ultimate workout experience with the ProForm Pro 2000 treadmill. A Mach Z Commercial Pro motor with 3.25 CHP delivers incredible power to every workout, and, with quick digital controls, you can adjust your incline up to 15% and decline down to -3% for more variety and customized training. The included wireless chest strap will keep you in your target zone for optimum results while the extra-long 20-by-60-inch treadbelt offers plenty of room to stretch out your stride.
- 3.25 CHP Mach Z Commercial Pro Motor
- -3 – 0% Quick Decline Control
- 0 – 15% Quick Incline Control
- FS2 Full Surface Suspension Cushioning
- iFit Live Technology Compatible
If you are an adult man who works in an office, then you’re going to love this: Gold Toe Men’s Canterbury Over the Calf Dress Socks. They are the only socks that I have found in 15+ years of working in an office that I can truly say stay up all day. Seriously.
Crazy? I know it sounds kind of crazy, but when I found these socks, I liked them so much that I was compelled to tell my friends about them. The more people I told, the more people thanked me for telling them about them because they loved them too. So, I decided to put them on ATCS. The response has been overwhelming, as a ton of people have found this post and have clicked the link to buy them on Amazon.
Back to the Review: For years I have looked for men’s dress socks that stay up and don’t sag or fall down during a long day at work.
I have finally found them: Gold Toe Men’s Canterbury Over the Calf Dress Socks. About $21 for a 3-pack.
Here are the stats:
- 70% Mercerized Cotton Lisle, 30% Stretch Nylon (see my comment about 100% cotton socks below)
- Fits shoe size 7-12
- Lightweight mercerized cotton lisle for long-lasting wear.
- Reinforced heel and toe, over the calf length
- Machine wash warm, tumble dry low
- Colors: black, brown, navy
If you’ve done similar hunting for the right sock, then you know how frustrating this quest can be. Most “over the calf” socks are not over the calf. They go to about mid-calf. That means that they will fall down during the day. These socks are great. They actually go over my knee cap (I’m 5’8″, 160lbs). But my good friend, who is 6′ 2″, bought these socks and they stay up on him too. They go so high that I have to fold them down so that they sit over my calf and below my knee. They stay up ALL DAY.
Not 100% Cotton. Not a Problem. If you are used to wearing socks made from 100% cotton, and are worried that you won’t like these because they are only 70% cotton, then worry no more. I used to wear only all-cotton socks, and I was concerned about this with these socks, but I was (and continue to be) very happy with the all-cotton-like feel of these. If I didn’t know any better, I would think these were all cotton.
Bottom line: If you want socks that do not fall down, get these now. They come in black, navy, and brown. Here is a link to pick up a 3-pack on Amazon.com for about $21. Maybe a little pricier than some socks, but they are definitely worth it.
Update 12/15/12: now that I’ve been wearing these socks for well over 6 months, I love them even more. They don’t shrink or fade in the wash, and they hold up really, really well. I have completely replaced my collection of socks with these and I will never look back.
Update 2: Looking more closely on Amazon, other people who have purchased these socks agree. Here are just a few of the very helpful comments that I found there:
- “The quality and comfort (they go up over your calf and STAY there…no bare ankles showing on me!) are exemplary.”
- “Best sock in performance that I have ever tried. I buy them in bulk and have never been dissappointed. No sagging, no defects. The only reason I toss them is that they fade to gray after a long life of use. One of the few products that once you try them you never have to worry about this item in your wardrobe again. If they ever stopped making them, I would buy a 100 pairs just to know I would have them for my lifetime.”
- “These socks are flawless. Extremely comfortable, you can wear them all day and the cotton allows your feet to breath while the nylon ensures that your socks never droop. They wear like iron, never had a hole after many years of use.”
- “Great item. Don’t know why it took me so long to try this brand. The socks actually go all the way up, over the calf, to the knee. If anything they are too long! (Many OTC socks barely make it to the calf line.) Furthermore, they really stay up, like all day for a 12-hr workshift. Nothing worse than pulling at your socks all day. Also, no toe-hole punctures yet. I highly recommend these socks, they may be the best I have ever worn.”
- “My husband will not wear any other dress socks – they stay up and are very comfortable.”
Update 3 (and request to you) 3/16/13: If you have ordered these socks from my Amazon affiliate links in this post (or elsewhere), please let me know what you think of them (either in a comment or send me an email, below). This has been — by far — the most-ordered item on All The Coolest Stuff (more than 100 people have ordered them so far). I am really interested to find out if you all love these socks as much as I do.
Also, if you have any questions about these socks, I’d be happy to answer them. Email me at AllTheCoolestStuffBlog at gmail dot com.