If you are an adult man who works in an office, then you’re going to love this: Gold Toe Men’s Canterbury Over the Calf Dress Socks. They are the only socks that I have found in 15+ years of working in an office that I can truly say stay up all day. Seriously.
Crazy? I know it sounds kind of crazy, but when I found these socks, I liked them so much that I was compelled to tell my friends about them. The more people I told, the more people thanked me for telling them about them because they loved them too. So, I decided to put them on ATCS. The response has been overwhelming, as a ton of people have found this post and have clicked the link to buy them on Amazon.
Back to the Review: For years I have looked for men’s dress socks that stay up and don’t sag or fall down during a long day at work.
I have finally found them: Gold Toe Men’s Canterbury Over the Calf Dress Socks. About $21 for a 3-pack.
Here are the stats:
- 70% Mercerized Cotton Lisle, 30% Stretch Nylon (see my comment about 100% cotton socks below)
- Fits shoe size 7-12
- Lightweight mercerized cotton lisle for long-lasting wear.
- Reinforced heel and toe, over the calf length
- Machine wash warm, tumble dry low
- Colors: black, brown, navy
If you’ve done similar hunting for the right sock, then you know how frustrating this quest can be. Most “over the calf” socks are not over the calf. They go to about mid-calf. That means that they will fall down during the day. These socks are great. They actually go over my knee cap (I’m 5’8″, 160lbs). But my good friend, who is 6′ 2″, bought these socks and they stay up on him too. They go so high that I have to fold them down so that they sit over my calf and below my knee. They stay up ALL DAY.
Not 100% Cotton. Not a Problem. If you are used to wearing socks made from 100% cotton, and are worried that you won’t like these because they are only 70% cotton, then worry no more. I used to wear only all-cotton socks, and I was concerned about this with these socks, but I was (and continue to be) very happy with the all-cotton-like feel of these. If I didn’t know any better, I would think these were all cotton.
Bottom line: If you want socks that do not fall down, get these now. They come in black, navy, and brown. Here is a link to pick up a 3-pack on Amazon.com for about $21. Maybe a little pricier than some socks, but they are definitely worth it.
Update 12/15/12: now that I’ve been wearing these socks for well over 6 months, I love them even more. They don’t shrink or fade in the wash, and they hold up really, really well. I have completely replaced my collection of socks with these and I will never look back.
Update 2: Looking more closely on Amazon, other people who have purchased these socks agree. Here are just a few of the very helpful comments that I found there:
- “The quality and comfort (they go up over your calf and STAY there…no bare ankles showing on me!) are exemplary.”
- “Best sock in performance that I have ever tried. I buy them in bulk and have never been dissappointed. No sagging, no defects. The only reason I toss them is that they fade to gray after a long life of use. One of the few products that once you try them you never have to worry about this item in your wardrobe again. If they ever stopped making them, I would buy a 100 pairs just to know I would have them for my lifetime.”
- “These socks are flawless. Extremely comfortable, you can wear them all day and the cotton allows your feet to breath while the nylon ensures that your socks never droop. They wear like iron, never had a hole after many years of use.”
- “Great item. Don’t know why it took me so long to try this brand. The socks actually go all the way up, over the calf, to the knee. If anything they are too long! (Many OTC socks barely make it to the calf line.) Furthermore, they really stay up, like all day for a 12-hr workshift. Nothing worse than pulling at your socks all day. Also, no toe-hole punctures yet. I highly recommend these socks, they may be the best I have ever worn.”
- “My husband will not wear any other dress socks – they stay up and are very comfortable.”
Update 3 (and request to you) 3/16/13: If you have ordered these socks from my Amazon affiliate links in this post (or elsewhere), please let me know what you think of them (either in a comment or send me an email, below). This has been — by far — the most-ordered item on All The Coolest Stuff (more than 100 people have ordered them so far). I am really interested to find out if you all love these socks as much as I do.
Also, if you have any questions about these socks, I’d be happy to answer them. Email me at AllTheCoolestStuffBlog at gmail dot com.